Cats are really curious creatures, and they love to frolic and play. With that being said, they don’t automatically know what may be harmful or dangerous for them. Too often you hear the phrase ‘curiosity killed the cat’. This couldn’t be more true when it comes to plants poisonous to cats. It is always good to be aware of the plants that may be poisonous to your cat.
While there are a variety of different plants that may be harmful, there are some common ones that you will want to be aware of. That way you can make sure that you keep these harmful plants out of your home and your yard.
[Images by Wikipedia]
Signs and Symptoms Your Cat Has Consumed a Poisonous Plant
If your cat has consumed a plant that is harmful or toxic to them, there are a few symptoms that you will want to be aware of. Sometimes these signs may appear right away, and other times it may take a few days for you to notice. You should always be on the lookout for different behaviors, especially if you think that your cat could been exposed to a poisonous plant. Here are signs that you will want to be on the lookout for:
- trouble breathing
- trouble swallowing
- excessive urination
- excessive thirst
- irregular heart rate
What to Do if Your Cat Has Ingested a Toxic Plant
If your cat has ingested a toxic plant, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably going to be to panic. While panicking may seem natural, you definitely want to keep calm so that you can have them treated right away. If your kitty is sick and uncomfortable, they will need you to be there for them. Here are a few things that you will want to do first:
- Get rid of the plant. Start by making sure that they don’t have any remains of the plant in their mouth. By doing this, you may be able to identify the plant and save the vet some time.
- Call your veterinarian. Chances are they will want you to bring them in right away. If it is after hours, they probably have an on call facility in your area that you can take your cat to- even if it is in the middle of the night.
- Bring a piece of the plant with you if you can. If you have a piece of the plant that they ingested, this can be very helpful for the vet. This will help them to know What to do next when it comes to treatment, and will also improve prognosis.
- Get to the vet ASAP. Take your cat, in a reliable carrier, directly to your veterinarian’s office. The sooner they are treated, the better.
Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Once you get to the veterinarian’s office, they will begin by doing a thorough exam and looking into all of the symptoms. There are a lot of different treatment options, but typically they will start by inducing vomiting, giving IV medications, and strict observation. Sometimes, they will let you go home soon after, but other times it may be more serious and may require a longer observation. Your vet will be able to guide you in the right direction when it comes to proper treatment, depending on the type of plant that was ingested and the severity of the reaction.
When you have cats, it is your responsibility to offer a safe environment for them. That means that you need to make sure that you are aware of the plants poisonous to cats so that you can keep them out of your home and out of your yard. Remember, cats are really good at jumping and getting into high areas, and they can also climb! That means that it will be pretty hard to just put a poisonous plant out of their reach. Cats are not like dogs, so it isn’t safe to just put your favorite plant up high. They can still get to it, and therefore it is still a risk for them. Do yourself, and your cat a favor by just getting rid of any plants that may be toxic to them.
Make sure that your cat is safe and happy at all times. Don’t risk it with plants poisonous to cats, because you never know when your cat may be feeling a bit froggy and may try to get into your plants. After all, cats are notorious for getting into things- especially things that they aren’t supposed to get into. Always have your veterinarian’s number on hand just in case you happen to have a plant that got past you.
They say some people are ‘dog people’ and others are ‘cat people’. I’m a cat person! I got my first cat when I was in the 2nd grade. I had to beg my mom to let me keep him. He was an orange tabby, and I have been partial to them ever since! We currently have three cats.
Being a cat person, I am always trying to learn more about why cats do the things they do. Cats are such loving animals, but they can be so fickle. I guess I can kind of relate to their behavior, and that is probably what attracts me to them.