Toxic Plants for Dogs

Toxic Plants for Dogs

Dogs are curious little rascals that enjoy exploring their world by licking, chewing and eating a variety of items that surround them. If your dog loves to discover new things outdoors and tends to frolic through a variety of plants, there is a chance he may be exposed to toxic plants for dogs.

Since there is an extensive list of toxic plants for dogs that can cause harm to your dog’s health, it is wise to become familiar with the most common ones and remove them from your yard and home.

Common Toxic Plants for Dogs

  • Angel’s Jasmine
  • Apricot
  • Autumn crocus
  • Azalea
  • Balsam pear
  • Buckeye
  • Buttercup
  • Chinaberry
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodils
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dologeton
  • Dutchman’s potatoes
  • English holly almond
  • English yew
  • Horse chestnut
  • Jimsonweed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lilies
  • Lily of the valley
  • Locoweed
  • Lupine
  • Matrimony vine
  • Mayapple
  • Mescal bean
  • Mock orangeMonkey pod
  • Moonseed
  • Morning glory
  • Mushrooms trumpet
  • Nightshade
  • Nutmeg
  • Oleander
  • Peace lily
  • Peach cherry
  • Periwinkle
  • Peyote
  • Pigweed
  • Poison hemlock
  • Rain tree
  • Rhubarb
  • Sago palm
  • Spinach
  • Stinging nettles
  • Sunburned
  • Tomato vine
  • Tulip
  • Virginia creep
  • Water hemlock
  • Western yew
  • Wild cherry

Signs and Symptoms Your Dog Consumed a Poisonous Plant

There are a variety of symptoms that may appear after your dog has been exposed to a toxic plant. The onset of symptoms can vary between immediate reaction and 24 hours. The best thing to do is to always keep a close eye on your dog and to be well-aware of his surroundings. Be aware if your dog experiences any of the following symptoms.

  • Rash
  • Swollen mouth, lips or tongue
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Blood in stool
  • Cramps
  • Kidney problems
  • Tremors
  • Blood in vomit
  • Breathing problems
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Hallucinations
  • Convulsions
  • Coma

What to do if Your Dog has Ingested a Toxic Plant

Many dog owners panic and rightly so. But, you will want to try to remain as calm as possible since your dog is capable of feeling your emotions. He is already sick, you don’t want to cause more discomfort. There are a variety of important steps to take after your dog has consumed a toxic plant.

  1. Remove the Plant – Carefully search your dog’s mouth and remove the plant and any small particles that may have remained in his mouth. Try to identify what type of plant was consumed by your dog.
  2. Call the Veterinarian – Immediately contact the veterinarian or your local animal hospital. They will instruct you on what to do next and most-likely advise you to rush to their office.
  3. Collect the Evidence – Try to take a few pieces of the plant with you to the animal hospital. Even if it is just one leaf, it will help the veterinarian determine what type of plant it was so diagnosis can be determined quickly.
  4. Transport Your Dog – Put your dog in his crate or wrap him in a blanket and carefully place him in your car. Drive to your nearest animal hospital for further assistance.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Once you arrive at the animal hospital the veterinarian and the staff will move quickly to help your dog.

There are a variety of techniques used to assist your dog, such as inducing vomit, injecting medication intravenously, neutralizing the toxins with charcoal, flushing your dog’s system with IV fluids and most-likely keeping your dog hospitalized and under observation for 24 hours. Your dog will be released from the animal hospital under the veterinarian’s request.

You will most-likely be advised on how to look after your dog over the next few days and report any unusual signs immediately.


As a dog owner you will want to provide a safe environment for your dog. This means removing all toxic plants from your home, garden and yard. If it is impossible to let go of your favorite house plant, at least make sure that it is out of reach to your dog, and the leaves or debris from the plant will not land on the floor beneath, where your dog will have contact. You will always want to remove the toxic plants from your garden carefully and make sure the leaves are not left behind on the ground.

Safe Plants for Dogs

Safe Plants for Dogs

Now that you have removed all of the toxic plants from your home, yard and garden, chances are you might be left with empty flower pots and mounds of soil with nothing in them. The good news is there are plenty of plants that are non-toxic to your dog. Choose from the wide range of options on the list below:

  • African violet
  • Arabian gentian
  • Bamboo
  • Butterfly iris
  • Camellia
  • Cornflower
  • Dallas fern
  • Dwarf Palm
  • Easter orchid
  • English hawthorn
  • Florida butterfly orchid
  • Fan tufted palm
  • German violet
  • Grape Ivy
  • Honey locust
  • Horse brier
  • Irish moss
  • Lace flower vine
  • Lady palm
  • Madagascar jasmine
  • Natal plum
  • Orange star
  • Persian violet
  • Pink brocade
  • Queencup
  • Red African violet
  • Russian olive
  • Silver bell
  • Silver star
  • Spice orchid
  • Tailed orchid
  • Turf lily
  • Usambara violet
  • White heart hickory
  • Zebra haworthia

These beautiful non-toxic plants will surely take the place of your old plants. Prevention is an important part of limiting the exposure your dog has to toxic plants. There will be occasions where you have no choice but to allow your dog to be near toxic plants for dogs. Usually this is at parks and on hiking trips. You are not able to control all surroundings, but at least your home is safe. Always keep a good eye on your dog during your hiking trips, walks through the park and around your neighborhood. Make sure you keep your local animal hospital phone number programmed in your cell phone in case of emergency while adventuring out on a hike or walk.

Share This Article on:

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on vk
Share on telegram
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 × 3 =


Please help other pets by sharing this post!

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on WhatsApp
Share on google
Share on Google+